Got Mold?

Mold is incredibly common in buildings and homes. Mold can grow on just about anything, porous surfaces, fabrics, paper, cardboard, ceiling tiles and other materials commonly found inside of homes.  An easy fix for small amounts of mold is using household disinfectants; larger areas should always be treated by a professional, for everyone’s safety. 

Mold is a health risk, and should always be removed. Different people can have different reactions to all different species of mold. Someone with no preexisting conditions may only get a cough, red eyes, or wheezing. But if you suffer from asthma or other respiratory issues, they can be exacerbated. 

Prevent mold by keeping humidity low with a dehumidifier, but always check to make sure it is rated for the cubic footage of the area you are treating. It needs to run continuously, a model with a drain pipe is recommended to ensure that it won’t shut off when full. Models that have an automatic shut off when at capacity won’t keep things dry, and you’ll be in a fight against moisture.

If you smell mold or mildew, this doesn’t always mean you have a leak. If there is not an evident leak, this could just mean you have excess moisture in the environment, this could also be a clue that you have poor circulation within the home. But, if you think you might have a mold problem, give us a call and we can help.